SHOPPES AT KINGSGATE- MILL REPAIR AND ASPHALT OVERLAY – HOUSTON, TX
This Shopping Center project most accurately depicts our signature scope and specification for an asphalt parking lot: asphalt repair and re-surfacing, or an asphalt overlay. Since 1983, we’ve done hundreds, if not thousands, of these projects in the Dallas- Fort Worth and Houston area, and in the past ten years, as our region continues to grow here in Texas, we added Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Oklahoma. Over 30 years ago, Pavement Services Corporation pioneered a repair method for asphalt parking lots, which we termed “The Mill Method”. It is more technically known as Full-Depth Reclamation or FDR, and has been used on Roads and Highways at least as far back as the mid 1970’s. FDR pulverizes the existing pavement and underlying base thereby “re-claiming” the materials used in the original pavement construction and converting it into a re-usable (recycled) base material. FDR conserves virgin construction materials and makes smart, strategic sense by the reuse of past pavement investments.
After some trial and error with the FDR process, by converting highway milling machines to parking lot machines, and adding a specific amount of Portland cement while pulverizing the pavement, we created a Cement Treated Base (CTB) through the reclamation process. This allows us to use on-site materials to produce a water-resistant base course that has concrete slab-like characteristics. Once completed, the CTB only needs a thin layer of hot-mix asphalt to complete the reconstruction project.
ALONG WITH THE BENEFITS ALREADY MENTIONED, OTHERS INCLUDE…
- Less waste to export off-site, due to the recycling of existing pavement
- Less new material imported onsite. These two steps mean less wear and tear on the pavement during the repair process, as well as cost savings on trucking
- Limited property liability due to no open holes measuring 6” to 8” deep
- Greater structural integrity with the added Portland cement
- Cost savings as much as 35 to 70% over conventional remove and replace
- Time savings on total length of the project by as much as 50%
- A decrease in greenhouse gas emissions with minimal new materials needed
- CTB continues to gain strength with age
IN ADDITION TO THE ASPHALT RESURFACING
We removed and replaced the ADA ramps in this center, and brought them to the current City of Houston specification for slopes and grades.
Another added benefit of working with Pavement Services Corporation is our workforce in Houston TX. All of our employees are legally working in the United States, and to ensure this, our employee forms are audited every year by an independent compliance firm. We perform background checks on everyone that works for us, and each employee will always have an identification badge and PPE on their person. If there is a question, our Supervisors are easily spotted onsite by his or her white hard hat. Our goal is always to be on time, on scope, and on budget, making your life a little easier.